Then: Supporting the War
Helping our country’s active military personnel, veterans, and their families isn’t something new for us. AT&T has a long history of supporting the military. Nearly 71 years ago, our telephone services played a big role in World War II. Can you imagine a world without your phone? During the war, Americans were expected to go without a lot of things – food, car tires, gasoline and telephone service.
Here are 6 amazing ways we helped win the war:
- Almost 18 percent of our work force – or 67,700 Bell System employees – joined the armed forces. Of these, 6,200 were women. In all, 1,230 employees gave their lives, according to the 1945 AT&T annual report.
- We built and ran telephone systems at hundreds of military camps and bases, many in less-populated areas. Operators left home posts to handle the calls in the war centers.
- Overseas telephone service, developed by the Bell System, provided instant communication on battlefronts. Written messages were exchanged via our teletypewriter exchange service.
- We helped the U.S. Army’s Signal Corps – in charge of communications for the armed forces – teach soldiers to install and maintain telephone and teletypewriter systems. Classes were at our training schools.
- Day or night, telephone operators were poised, ready to report it if enemy aircraft should venture over domestic skies. An intricate system, developed by AT&T and the military, meant connecting calls – in about 30 seconds — from aircraft spotters to Army Information Centers.
- All 2,000 of AT&T’s scientists and engineers had a single focus – the war. “Bell Telephone Laboratories – fountainhead of so much of the world’s knowledge of electrical communication – is working hand in hand with the Army and Navy to create the best electrical weapons that can be devised,” the AT&T booklet said.
Now: Supporting Our Veterans
When we say we support veterans and their families – we mean it. At AT&T veteran hiring isn’t something we do to meet a target, it’s something we do because it’s good for veterans and good for our business. Our own Johanna Martinez, Military Talent Acquisition Manager, knows why we invest in veteran employees – they make amazing employees.
Here are 6 amazing ways we help veterans today:
- We’re on a mission to hire 20,000 veterans by 2020. Learn more about our participation with the Veteran Jobs Mission.
- We offer resources on www.att.jobs/military for veterans and support the next step in their career journey.
- Our Veteran Employee Resource Group is 9,700+ strong, provides mentoring programs and support for active military serving in combat zones.
- The AT&T Veteran Talent Network provides up-to-date information about jobs.
- Our Job Search Advisor sessions give veterans a chance to speak directly to our Military Talent Acquisition Managers and learn about AT&T first hand.
- We offer a support network for military spouses and our MilSpouse Virtual Job Advisor sessions provide transition assistance and career advice.
Find out what #LifeAtATT is like for veterans.